Friday, October 23, 2015

One Room Challenge: Week 3

Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short on posting this week's update, but I figured it'd be better to wait a day and have a quality post rather than rush to complete it last night and wind up posting a less-than-my-best post.  Week 3 of the One Room Challenge has come and gone, and it was a busy one!  In addition to making headway in the office space, I baked a large quantity of red velvet cupcakes from scratch for a fiftieth birthday party, baked and decorated a cute fire truck cake for (and attended!) a two-year old boy's birthday party, and made a pretty awesome late birthday gift for his big sister, which I plan to share on the blog next week. 
  Week 4 should be a little quieter, though...

If this is your first time visiting Homespun by Laura, thanks for stopping by!  You can click here to find out more about the room I’m tackling during this 6-week challenge.

 My goals for this past week were to:
  1. Touch up paint on shelves and staircase
  2. Paint remaining five walls
  3. Clear floor to make room for new furniture
And they were more or less accomplished!! 

There are still a few large pieces of furniture that I need the Mister to help me remove (Goal #3), but I’m happy to report that I’m FINALLY finished painting (Goals #1 and #2)!! 


Early in the week, I touched up the areas on the staircase and shelves that needed it, with the exception of the slanty part of the staircase where the blobs of gray paint wound up on the popcorn ceiling.  I'm procrastinating on that. 


Those last five walls took about a day and a half to complete when I finally got around to them, and I did a little happy dance when I covered the last bit of brown wall (except that nasty slanty staircase bit).  Then I remembered I was standing on the top step of a stool, that I don't dance, and that I'm not very coordinated, so I stopped my 'dance' in time to prevent a major fall. 


If I had known when I first put brush to wall in late May that I would work off and on through late October to finish the job, I might have decided to live with that horrible brown color!  Just kidding.  As I look around the room, there’s no denying that the result is totally worth enduring the longest paint job ever.  This room was meant to be gray with bright white shelves and trim!



Moving on…the worst part about painting ANY room (to me, at least) is all the prep: moving furniture and other items out of the way to gain access to the walls, sanding, patching holes in the wall, patching holes in the trim, sanding more, cleaning up the mess from sanding...and this room was no exception. 

The worst part was filling in and smoothing out all the holes from stray darts.
In fact, as a result of all the stuff that doesn’t need to be in here and the fact that there’s no hallway where I can temporarily move things, it was even worse than a normal room as far as shifting around furniture goes.  But now that’s in the past, and as the paint job progressed, there was less ‘stuff’ in the room anyway, as I donated/tossed some and the rest started to find its home on the shelves or in other rooms in the house.  Plus, there were holes everywhere from posters and frames we'd had on the walls and a bunch of oddly placed holes where the previous owners  had hung some things in strange places.  I also removed the old curtains and blinds, which left holes to be filled with wood putty in several places on the window trim.




Once all that was out of the way, the actual painting of walls and trim was a breeze and only took about 5 hours.
Next, even though it wasn’t on the to-do list for this week, I narrowed down the options for new fixtures for the room and created a fun mood board. 
Sources for images are below.
A new light will replace the ugly one at the bottom of the stairs, and two white ceiling fans with lights will replace the horrible fluorescent lights located on each side of the room.  For the downstairs light, it’s between this one:
Image Source
and this one, which I think I will probably save for a location where it will be seen more, like our laundry room:
Image Source
For the fan, I’d like something like this, with an odd number of bulbs AND an odd number of blades.  There’s something about a fan with an even number of blades that drives me a little crazy.
At first, I wasn’t sure if the fluorescent lights could, in fact, be switched out for fans, but then I came across this post on Young House Love and decided that my handyman should be able to handle it.

Image Source
I decided in late August which frames I’d like to use for the gallery I plan to create on the staircase.  Instead of the more traditional and detailed frames that I usually gravitate towards, I picked plain white ones with white mats, so that the photo or artwork stands out instead of competing with the frames.  There will be a lot of them in a very small space, so I wanted to keep it looking as clean and uncluttered as possible .  They're very similar to the ones in the photo below, all a variety of shape and size.
Image Source
Last, another accomplishment this week that wasn't even on the list was completing the shelf and rod on which I’ll display our race medals and some running photos.  It needs to be assembled and hung, but I’m waiting on my handyman to help me with the hanging part.  I’m too impatient to make sure everything is level, so he’s the hanger in our household. 


It doesn't look like much now, but it should be pretty cool when it's finished!
And that wraps up Week 3!  Looking ahead, my goals for Week 4 include:


Determine paint color for new sewing desk.
As I mentioned in Week 1, it previously belonged to my friend who doesn't sew, and I'm excited to put it to use.  It's larger than the one I currently use, so it'll be nice to have more space to spread out fabric (and for my poor knees, which get a little banged up when I use the other one). 



My new sewing desk
It’s currently got some dings and scratches on it, and my original plan was to paint it white to match the rest of the furniture.  But...ever since I saw this desk at a consignment store in June, I can’t get that aqua color out of my head.  



And it just so happens that I came across a gallon of a similar color on the mis-tints rack at Lowe’s a few weeks back for only $9 and it found its way into my buggy.  I’m leaning toward that color (which wasn’t named on the container, so I have no idea what it's called!), but I'm considering navy blue.  I recently bought some navy paint for our exterior doors, and I think it would look great on the sewing desk, too.
The knobs will be replaced with these from Hobby Lobby (which appear to have been discontinued since I bought them), so I took a few photos of them against the colors I’m considering.
  
Instead of paint, I used a navy lotion dispenser because that was
the only navy item within reach at the time.
 
I think the knobs just look kind of ‘meh’ against the white, especially after considering the other colors.  
What are your thoughts?  Leave a comment below!
Just like the evil witch Delores Umbridge, “I will have order!” 
(I might have watched/listened to all the Harry Potter movies in order while I painted...now if only I could wave a wand and put everything where it belongs!).
  • The last of the furniture that needs to find a new place to live (consignment/thrift store) will be removed!!!
  • My old TV, which sits on a stand that I eventually intend to replace, or at least to paint, will make its way into the corner where it belongs.
Start making the switch! 
  • The last of the items that need to be moved to the guest room or old sewing room will make the trip down the stairs, through the laundry room, kitchen, and den, up the stairs, and down the hall to their new homes.
  • All the fabric and craft supplies in the sewing room will make the same trip in reverse.  I think I’ll plan to NOT run the day I move all that stuff!!
Consider fabric options.
I have about forty different fabrics pinned to my project board for this project, so I really need to narrow it down, especially if I plan to order any fabrics and have any hope of them arriving any time soon.  Here are a few I like:

Image Source
Image Source
Image Source
At the moment, I'm strongly considering making a Roman Shade with some UV-blocking lining with a Greek Key design made from ribbon, similar to the pillow below and the full-length version here.  After spending so much time in this room in the past few weeks, I'm starting to realize how much bright afternoon sun hits a few of the shelves (and how much heat it creates in a room that's already too hot 6 months per year), so I'd like to be able to block some of it to prevent it from fading the items on display.
Image Source
And there you have it!  I hope to have a 100% completion rate for next week and to share next week's accomplisments in a more timely post! 

Thanks for reading!
Laura

3 comments:

  1. I like either the white of the aqua for the sewing table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobby Lobby had large button wall plaques that would match the button drawer pulls. They were the size of medium dinner plates. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh...I'm planning to stop by there tomorrow so will have to look for them! I'm still going back and forth on the sewing table. I just can't decide! ~Laura

      Delete