Sunday, October 28, 2012

Two New Stools


I found two old stools in need of some TLC and gave them a little bit of attention to make them suitable for use in my sewing room.  I had been looking for a beat-up old stool to use at my custom-made desk (which I'll get around to sharing eventually!) since I'd been using the same chair at the 3 different desks that are in my room - and I was getting tired of shuffling it around. 
When I found the first stool in the corner of the unlit upstairs area (basically like an attic) at the same little antique store where I found the antique sewing machine base I used in this project, I knew immediately it was exactly what I'd been looking for.  It was in rough shape, but I wanted to preserve some of its 'rough-ness' as I fixed it up.  I paid $10 for it, and they threw in the wooden thread spools I found in a random box for free!  

I found just enough leftover monkey fabric from a pillow I made last year to cover the seat.  I've wanted to use it for some other projects, too, but I have scoured all the fabric stores near me only to find that they don't carry it anymore! 

It looks like I didn't take a before picture of stool number 1, so this a photo of it and the other items I bought at the same time. 

Check back next week to find out what I did with the old shutter!
First thing I did was remove the seat from the stool frame (it was just attached a couple of screws) and smother the frame with a few coats of polyurethane.  I debated back and forth on whether I wanted to sand it down and give it a fresh coat of paint, but I actually liked the look of the chipping paint...and I'm lazy, so the original look won!


There wasn't much padding on the seat originally.
Since there wasn't much padding on the seat (I discovered the seat was made only of scrap beadboard and carpet padding!), so I used half of the scrap seat cushion from the chair I reupholstered in the spring to make it a bit more comfortable to sit and craft/sew/scrapbook/blog/etc. for hours at a time.


My little helper made sure I cut the cushion just the right size
After I cut the cushion, I used my staple gun and some batting to secure it into place before adding the fabric on top and stapling it down.


I considered using the original fringe (right) but ultimately went with some fresh fringe left over from some pillows (left), which I decided not to use on the pillows because I knew the little dog would enjoy it too much.  A stool seemed like a safer place to use it!


I secured the fringe by reusing the upholstery tacks that held down the original fringe.


And tah-dah!  The finished project!  I love the funky look of the little monkeys against the beat-up old stool.  As I do with a lot of the subjects of my projects, I wonder what its story is and where it came from.  It's a little bit wiggly and is obviously handmade, which I love.  And now, quite comfortable to blog from!


Stool number 2 is more of your standard stool, just old and beat up.  I found it at the Goodwill outlet store that's sort of near where I work. They sell everything by the pound there, so if you're in search of lightweight stuff, it's a great place to go.


Before
I began by painting it the same 'leafy green' (Valspar spray paint from Lowe's) that I've used on other projects in my sewing room.


I didn't worry about painting the seat since it would be covered
It only took one coat of paint (mostly because the one coat emptied what was left in the can and I didn't feel like going to the store for more), and I took a nap in the hammock with the doggy while I waited for it to dry (hey, I had run 12.5 miles that morning, I think I deserved a nap!)!! 


Painting = done!
Once the paint and a coat of sealer were dry, I took the stool inside to cover the seat.  I began with foam, which I then secured into place with batting and a staple gun.


Using the other half of th scrap seat from the chair upholstery
project, I cut out a circle for the seat cushion.

I should invest in a cheap bread knife so I don't keep
having to use my nice Cutco knife to cut through foam!
I started with a square of batting and trimmed it down as I went.


I pulled out my handy-dandy staple gun to attach
the batting to the bottom of the stool.
Next, it was time for the fabric.  I didn't have enough of the monkey fabric to use it on this stool too, so I pulled out this floral fabric in a coordinating color for the second stool.


I centered the design the way I wanted it before I
turned over the stool, trimmed down the fabric,
and stapled it down.
Looks like a brand new stool! 


Thanks for reading!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment