Saturday, October 15, 2016

One Room Challenge 2016: Week 2

Welcome to Week #2 of the One Room Challenge!

Last week, I introduced you to our bright red laundry room full of dancing chefs.


The chefs are now gone.  The walls are now gray.  And it looks 100x better!


Though I have painted four rooms in our house - three of them on my own - the laundry room was one that I had no interest in tackling...which is why the paint sat in our garage for over a year before it wound up on the wall.  For the first time ever, I hired a painter to handle this tiny room that contains 8 corners, 4 doors, 3 cabinets, a window, a washing machine, and a dryer.  There was way too much going on in this room for me to paint it in a reasonable amount of time and not go crazy.

But since painters aren't cheap, I removed the chefs on my own to save some money.  Before I started the project, I picked up some wallpaper removing supplies and am happy to report that I was able to take them all back.  A spray bottle full of water, a rough sponge, a putty knife, a rag, and some elbow grease did the trick!  Even more savings.

I started by pulling at the edges to get as much of the chefs off as possible.  Since I had put the chefs down over the original border, I had to then peel at the original layer, too.

After I had pulled off as much of the wallpaper as possible without peeling off wall, too, I was left with this all around the room:

I then sprayed it with water to loosen the glue.

After letting it sit for a couple of minutes, I used the putty knife to start gently scraping.






When I had gotten as much of the paper off as possible, I used the rough side of a Scotch-Brite sponge to brush the rest off.  

When the wall was free of paper, I went back with more water and a rag to make sure I'd gotten as much of the glue residue as possible so it wouldn't leave any marks after being painted.

The whole project only took a few hours, and afterward the room looked totally different.

I decided against filling in the insane number of holes that have accumulated in the walls myself - most of which were already here when we moved in.  It would have taken me ages to fill them all, but the painters did it in under an hour.  That's why you bring in the professionals! 



 There were also some weird lumps in one wall, which the painters were able to mostly smooth out.

They also filled in a 3" hole in the wall where I removed part of a doorbell that never worked.

Now that the painters have finished, it doesn't even look like it belongs in the same house!!



I chose to have the doors and trim painted, too, and it was definitely a good decision.  They difference is quite noticeable, especially in person.  We decided to leave the cabinets as they were, but I wiped them down to whiten them up a bit.  Since they don't get as heavy use as all the doors, they weren't in as much need of being painted as the doors were.


Next week, I'll start to put the room back together and add some decoration to it.

Click here to to see what the other One Room Challenge guest bloggers are up to this week!




2 comments:

  1. Wow Laura...just some paint...can't wait to see the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne! It truly is amazing what a can of paint can do.

      Laura

      Delete